When: 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. on Saturday, September 14
Where: Mar Vista Public Library, 12006 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90066. ( Map )
The Art of Appreciation: Beyond Praise, Bribes and Punishment
Positive reinforcement, gold stars, punishment and rewards have been at the top of the parenting toolbox for many years and are routinely used across the board by educational institutions. Recent scientific research has proven such methods to be toxic to the parent-child relationship, harmful to the emotional health of the child and ineffective in the long run.
But what could be so harmful in these seemingly innocent approaches? And how can one provide clear parenting guidance without these tools? How would the child know what’s right?
In this free 2-hour parenting class, we will look at the above questions and more:
- we will discuss the research uncovering the costs and inefficiency of these old methods,
- explore the presumptions behind using praise and punishment,
- practice new ways to effectively and respectfully communicate with our children,
- learn ways to express our appreciation without praise and judgment
- apply our new skills to real-life situations.
The class will be presented in English by Andrei Andreev, Certified Nonviolent Parenting Educator